Saturday, March 3, 2012

Blessings In Times of Suffering

 The next few posts are going to be my reflection of Bishop John T. Steinbock essay about The Affliction of Cancer.  He wrote this before his death in December of 2010 of cancer.  He wrote it from a Christian perspective.  I will for now concentrate on the section called "The Blessings and Lessons of Cancer.

1. We come to know how much so many care for us and love us.
In our busy lives, we get so involved in so much activity, that sometimes we do not reflect a great deal on the joy of having family and friends. We so easily take for granted those around us. As more and more people express their concern for us and pledge their prayers for us, we begin to realize just how important our family and friends are, as is the Christian community. And, we come to realize all the more how important love is in our lives.


We also learn to express our appreciation for those around us and come to be able to express our love in ways we would not have even considered when we were in good health. We also come to realize how many people we have touched in our lives, and how blest we have been through the many people our lives have touched.


I can't say how this was so true in my life the last three years.  Everyday we take for granted the love of our family, friends and neighbors, even people who are just acquaintances.   When I was originally in the hospital after my whipple surgery I received so many cards and expressions of love and concern.  It got to the point the nurses wanted to know "who are you, no one gets this many cards."  I would tell them I am no one just someone blest to be loved by so many.   I was overwhelmed by their expressions of love.  It is amazing to how many people even after three years are still telling me they are praying everyday for me.  How powerful this is, this would not have happened if I would not have gotten pancreatic cancer.  God has blessed me so much with this disease (which for those reading this I have my annual checkup next Wednesday.)

No comments: