Monday, March 5, 2012

We grow in Humility


2. We grow in humility, allowing other people to care for us when we are most sick.

We want so much to be independent in our lives, and we hold onto that independence. We do not like to be dependent on others. We like to think that we are self sufficient. This can lead to a form of pride, that we are willing to help others so many times, but we would reject the help of others. How hard it can be to allow others to help us. As we find ourselves getting sicker or weaker, we become dependent on others around us, to care for us at home, to drive us to the doctor, to do the shopping that needs to be done, to pick up our medicine, and on and on.
Being sick and becoming debilitating can be a curse for some, but a blessing for others, as we can grow in humility, acknowledging not only our need of God but our need for others in our lives. Another blessing is that we come to express our thankfulness and appreciation for what others do for us, God blessing them through us.


I think this is one of the most profound things I learned during the past three years.  I am not independent but dependent on others.
  When your in the hospital your dependent on nurses, aides and of course doctors.  Sometimes it of course is obvious we are dependent when we need a nurse or aid just to go to the bathroom or to come and clean you.  Now that is humility.  You can handle it a couple of different ways.  You can be mean or gruff to those around you because you don't like whats happened to you.  You could choose to be humble and thankful that there are others willing to clean you and change your bed, etc.

It is not just dependent on them of course but also our friends and family.  I don't know about you but there are many times I offer to help someone and tell them call me I will come do anything and they never do.  Well I decided I was not going to be that proud but ask for help when I need it.  Of course my wife is amazing and I do try to keep up with what I can because she has so much.  Our friends for a year did yard work, snow plowing, and splitting wood.  We have great friends.

No comments: