Sunday, July 15, 2012

Reading Gospel of John

"Whoever believes in him will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil.  For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light, so that his works might not be exposed.  But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God."  John 3:18-21

I am a daily Mass goer and I try to read the readings everyday before going to Mass.  This means I read a bunch a scripture over time.  Recently though I though I would do what I tell others to do and read a whole book at a time.  Read Mark the last couple of weeks and now am in the Gospel of John.  It is not like I have not read John before but each time I find it hard to read more than a few paragraphs because it is so full.  It is like reading something Blessed John Paul II wrote.  It is so dense that you have to stop and reread every line.  At least I have to.

Which brings me to the above quoted lines.  These lines remind me of the thoughts I have had about whether or not it is sometimes better to leave some in the dark.  Don't get me wrong for those who stay in the light it is much better that they are shown the light and the truth of Jesus Christ.  What of those who will choose darkness again because "people preferred darkness to light."  Sometimes I wonder if they wouldn't be better left to the dark and the Mercy of God.  Please do not worry these thoughts have never left me from telling others about the light and truth found in Jesus Christ.  It is just a thought I have from time to time and this part of scripture reminded me of it.

No comments: