Monday, February 6, 2012

Grace and Mercy

A few things have happened recently that all kind of go together.  Recently was in the hospital for another eight days for acute onset of  pancreatitis.  Ever since my whipple surgery my pancreas doesn't like me at times and I get to spend some time in one of my two favorite hospitals.  The other events include I am reading a book and prayer book (still)  Consoling the Heart of Jesus and I received a call from a friend who is suffering greatly from pain in her leg where they have replaced a knee a few months ago.  My friend asked me whether I get discouraged.  I am blessed to say that I don't get discouraged and than had to reflect on why I don't get discouraged.

I truly believe that it is a great gift I have been given by our Lord to be able to take the pain and to be able to offer that pain back to Him for the whatever use He desires.  I would think that you saw pain as a curse and not a blessing that it would completely change how you look at it.  I am also blessed not to be in constant pain even if I have pain almost every day.  My friend has pain every time she tries to walk which is a whole different animal.  I did of course encourage her to take her pain to the foot of the cross and offer it up to Jesus.  He above all knows what pain is like both physically and emotionally.  That is where the book comes in, the author encourages us to console our Lord while on the cross.  To be with Him to offer our pains and sufferings for His and for the all those who need Grace and Mercy that can only be found through His death and Resurrection.  Of course it was his Divine Mercy that was given to all of us at the cross.  

I am going to quote the book here as I could not do a better job.  

"In his great goodness and mercy, Jesus allows us to participate in his redeeming action in the world.  In fact, he needs us.  In a very real sense, he needs our suffering to be united with his in order to save souls.  We can begin to understand this mystery if we reflect on some puzzling words of St. Paul:  "I rejoice in my sufferings for you sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in the suffering of Christ for the sake of his bod, the Church.." (Col 1:24).  How can St. Paul write that there's something "lacking" in the suffering of Christ?  Jesus suffering is objectively enough to save everyone, and the graces his suffering merits are available to all.  In this sense, there's absolutely nothing lacking in his suffering.  Yet there's a kind of lack in Christ's suffering in the sense that not everyone subjectively accepts his grace and mercy.  Moreover, there's also a lack of in his suffering when people don't fully accept is grace and mercy, that is, when they do so halfheartedly and with reservations and conditions.  It's precisely in such situations where people reject or don't fully accept God's grace that our sufferings and bold prays can come to "complete what is lacking." "

We have to put our trust in Jesus.  As for our sufferings I will the saints speak.  

“Pain and suffering have come into your life, but remember pain, sorrow, suffering are but the kiss of Jesus - a sign that you have come so close to Him that He can kiss you.” 
― Mother Teresa

Jesus said to me; "How many times would you have abandoned Me, my son, if I had not crucified you.  Beneath the cross, one learns love, and I do not give this to everyone, but only to those souls who are dearest to Me."  St. Padre Pio

"The soul is destined to reign with Jesus Christ in eternal glory, must be remodeled by the blows of hammer and chisel... The Heavenly Physician is treating you as one chosen to follow Jesus closely up the Hill of Calvary... St. Padre Pio"



No comments: